- Air Conditioning
- Indoor Air Quality
- Other Services
- Service Areas
September 21, 2017
If you heat your Utica, NY home with a boiler, you might want to take a look at its age. Boilers are known for their durability and longevity. That's why many people choose them to heat their homes. But older boilers, especially ones from 20 years ago or so, may not be heating your home as efficiently as possible. For that reason, the U.S. Dept. of Energy recommends upgrading.
Their website states, "Upgrading to a high efficiency boiler is an effective way to save money on home heating." They indicate that many older boilers have extremely low efficiencies - between 56 and 70 percent. Additionally, they mention that a modern system can boast an efficiency as high as 98.5 percent. That means, only 1.5 percent of the heat created by the system is lost - the rest warms your home. What are some indicators that the boiler in your Utica, NY home needs replacing? And what should you look for in a newer model?
Here are a few pointers when considering a new boiler for your Utica, NY home:
Consider replacing your boiler if it's:
- Worn out
- Significantly oversized
Before you replace your boiler:
- Improve home energy efficiency in other areas
- Then, have your contractor size your furnace
Making other energy efficiency improvements throughout your home first can help your contractor properly size your unit. And, the right size boiler will perform the best and most efficient.
When shopping for a new boiler:
- Make sure it has the ENERGY STAR® seal. Keep in mind, cold Utica, NY winters mean your boiler will work a lot harder than heating equipment has to work in other parts of the country. Choosing the highest-efficiency system possible makes sense. Investing more when you purchase a new boiler will actually help you save in the long run, because your utility bills will likely be significantly less.
- Choose a reliable contractor. At Fred F. Collis & Sons, we know the best boiler systems for our Utica, NY customers. What's more, we install them professionally, all while treating your home as if it were our own. We take great pride in the work we do for you, and will ensure you have the highest quality boiler system for your home.
After you have a new boiler installed:
- Choose Fred F. Collis & Sons to keep it properly maintained. Getting annual maintenance on the boiler in your Utica, NY home helps ensure it remains efficient and heats your home for years to come.
At Fred F. Collis & Sons, your comfort is always a top priority. As a result, we always look out for your best interests and provide the very best boiler services and products to our Utica, NY area customers. The entire staff at Fred F. Collis & Sons wants you to enjoy your experience working with us. That’s why we guarantee all of our work – we want you to trust us to meet the boiler needs of you and your family.
Don’t live with a boiler system that doesn’t keep your Utica, NY area home comfortable – and your energy bills manageable. When you need a full-service boiler contractor, Fred F. Collis & Sons can help. Just give us a call at 315.768.2323 and we will be more than happy to meet your boiler installation, maintenance or repair needs.